Planning to decorate your home with portraiture is a journey
of discovery into the limitless design possibilities offered
by this dramatic medium.
It begins with a planning session at which you and the photographer
or design consultant explore your ideas and discuss creative
Key Points To Remember
- The portrait's overall color theme should blend with or
complement the room's color palette.
- Keep in mind the decorative intent of the room in which
you plan to display your portrait when you consider its style.
This will help to set the portrait's tone and guide you in
selecting appropriate clothing, accessories, and setting.
- An appropriately sized portrait is one that dominates the
space in which it is hung, but does not appear to be crowding
that space. Be sure to establish whether the space lends itself
better to a vertical or horizontal composition.
- Framing provides "the finishing touch" to fine
portraiture. Select a frame that complements the image and
accents the room's furnishings, not one that distracts from
the subject matter.
- Whether your portrait is an accessory or the room's focal
point placement is critical. All elements of design - color,
style, composition, and size - must work together to complete
the decorative statement..